Kindergarten and primary school - Ecole des petits chemins
Looking for two volunteers
Due to Covid-19 crisis, dates are subject to modifications.
Hosting organisation : Collectif des Petits Chemins
The « Collectif des Petits Chemins » is a non-profit association and school based in Lessive, a village located in the French community of Belgium. Its aim is to promote the new pedagogies made according to the kids’ personalities and using the natural environment.
The objective is to motivate young children in learning while respecting as well their needs and rhythms, and from this a fairer and more respectful work will be born.
Being an alternative to a classic educational system, the school also (but not only) welcomes kids having difficulties in a more classical type of education due either to a disability situation or a behavioural situation. They range from 2 1⁄2 years old until 12 years old and are divided into two sections; the kindergarten; and the primary school.
The courses methodology is different from a classic system. The teachers use a pedagogical project based on outdoor activities, cooperation and education to peace. Those develop and stimulate the 8 intelligences (linguistic, mathematical and logical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, spatial, kinaesthetic, musical and naturalist).
Aside of the school, the association organises or takes part in other local and social initiatives, such as farmer markets, concerts, parties,… But most of the project will be taking place within the school.
The staff is made of 4 teachers and also involves actively the parents. The four teachers will accompany the volunteers during their project. Trained in several alternative pedagogies and active pedagogy, the teachers are well equipped to support the learning process of the volunteers. Indeed, the active pedagogy also implies to encourage and stimulate the “learning to learn” process.
The association opens every weekday from 8:30am to 4:00pm, except on Wednesday from 8:00am to 12:00pm. From time to time, they also organize networking events on weekends.
Two volunteers will be more involved in the kindergarten and two others in the primary school. Things can however evolve according to the volunteers’ interests and wishes.
CBB host in total 19 international volunteers around Wallonia. The ESC team of CBB try his best to connect this network of volunteers together trought different collective activities, seminar …
Support organization : CBB
In addition to this, the hosting organization is supported by the Association des Compagnons Bâtisseurs, aka CBB located in Marche-en-Famenne not far from Rochefort. CBB is a non-profit, non-political youth organisation recognized and financially supported by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The organisation proposes different kinds of activities, based on volunteering and non-formal education: local and international workcamps, medium and long term voluntary services (including ESC), and leisure time activities for and with disabled people, campleaders trainings…CBB is active within the different European Programmes of volunteering and non-formal education since 1997 and also hosts ESC volunteers each year.
CBB’s role as support organization is to:
- Promote of the project and link between local and the international networks;
- Support in the selection and preparation of European volunteers before arrival;
- Manage of administrative matters: budget allowances; support in the creation of the bank account and enrollment at the municipality; enrollment in insurance (if not done by sending organization); preparation of activity agreement;
- Provide pedagogical support for the volunteer and the hosting organization: ensures the participation to the NA seminars; organization of auto-evaluation meetings for the volunteer and the hosting organization to reflect on learning outcomes;
- Handle practical arrangements: information about health insurance system in Belgium; indications about French lesson possibilities; online language tool…
- Create networking between all ESC volunteers of the hosting organizations we support.