Volunteering in a gallo-roman farm
Looking for two volunteers
Due to the Covid-19 crisis, activities might be subject to modifications.
Hosting organisation : Malagne Archéoparc
Malagne Archéoparc is a non-profit organization managing a Gallo-roman archaeological site since 1993.
Its aims are:
- to enhance and protect the heritage: the oldest archaeological remains (part of the World Geopark Unesco Famenne-Ardenne) in the area as well as a preserved natural site;
- to pass on and share knowledge about Gallo roman history through know-how and techniques: crafts, gardening, building, animal species and care and experimental archaeology;
- to make the past alive through scientific research based on experimental archaeology, through animals living on site, through crafts(wo)men gatherings, through workshops such as bread baking, forging…;
- to stimulate creativity and imagination thanks to land art, workshops, visits, rediscovering of old techniques which might be useful again nowadays.
Its actions are rotating around 3 axis:
- heritage: with archaeological excavations, historical re-enactment, experimental archaeology, resource center…;
- nature: preserved natural site, vegetable gardening faithful to Gallo-roman techniques, livestock farming constituted of ancient breeds;
- culture: temporary exhibitions, land art and artistic path crossing the domain.
In order to pass on and share knowledge, Malagne opens its doors to a lot of different people and is now a high ranked touristic attraction. Malagne welcomes two main types of public:
- tourists and families on holiday which are welcomed to walk around the place;
- pupils from 3 until 17 years old.
The team of the Archéoparc of Malagne is composed of 24 people divided into different teams: technical team, pedagogical team, administrative team and reception team. The people are between 23 and 56 years old, with many different experiences and skills: agronomy, archaeology, teaching, pedagogy, carpentry are some of the many areas of competence of the staff.
CBB host in total 21 international volunteers around Wallonia. The ESC team of CBB tries his best to connect this network of volunteers together trough different collective activities, seminars, etc …
Support organization : CBB
In addition to this, the hosting organization is supported by the Association des Compagnons Bâtisseurs, aka CBB located in Marche-en-Famenne. CBB is a non-profit, non-political youth organisation recognized and financially supported by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The organisation proposes different kinds of activities, based on volunteering and non-formal education: local and international workcamps, medium and long term voluntary services (including ESC), and leisure time activities for and with disabled people, campleaders trainings…CBB is active within the different European Programmes of volunteering and non-formal education since 1997 and also hosts ESC volunteers each year.
CBB’s role as support organization is to:
- Promote the project and link between local and the international networks;
- Support in the selection and preparation of European volunteers before arrival;
- Managing administrative matters: budget allowances; support in the creation of the bank account and enrolment at the municipality; enrolment in insurance (if not done by sending organization); preparation of the activity agreement;
- Provide pedagogical support for the volunteer and the hosting organization: ensures the participation in the NA seminars; organization of auto-evaluation meetings for the volunteer and the hosting organization to reflect on learning outcomes;
- Handle practical arrangements: information about health insurance system in Belgium; indications about French lesson possibilities; online language tool…
- Create networking between all ESC volunteers of the hosting organizations we support.