Helping youth with Mic-ados – Marche-en-Famenne
Looking for one volunteer
Hosting organisation : Amo Mic-ados
Mic-ados is an AMO-“aide en milieu ouvert”: a prevention service with an open scope of intervention, which means we can be active on the streets or anywhere else.
Our public is made up by children and youngsters (0-22) and our mission is helping them keep a balanced relation with their social, family and educational backgrounds.
We work with and for youngsters to improve their skills in order to foster their autonomy and social emancipation.
Equality of opportunities and equal access to services are values we stand for in our daily activities.
Micados is recognized and financed by the Belgian Youth social service of Wallonia-Brussels federation. We are based in Marche-en-Famenne and we work in Marche-en-Famenne administrative district which is made-up by 8 rural or mid-rural municipalities (Marche, Hotton, Erezée, La Roche, Barvaux, Nassogne, Tenneville and Durbuy).
We have two branch offices: in La Roche and Barvaux.
Our action is based on two main working axes:
A social and educational service based upon a listening, accompanying, orientation, support and mediation work, whose aim is to foster youngsters thriving in their family, scholar and social environment.
We intervene up to a youngster or their family’s request, always respecting youth social service moral code. The youngster can decide to stop asking our support at any time.
The objective of the community actions is to improve youngsters’ environment and to bring a global answer to individual problems and to the individual social demand.
We work to develop a local dynamic network: many initiatives are taken and projects implemented as a response to the needs expressed by individuals and families or as a consequence of our field analysis.-
We work with youngsters around different themes:
– How to deal with addictions (for example to drugs…);
– Schooling and school dropout (since several years now we are implementing a project called “Sac Ados”: a civic gap year, whose aim is to support youngsters who left school and to encourage them to try to find again their place in the official education system or to start a professional training);
– Parenthood, and relations with parents;
– Leisure activities, always entailing reflection moments (workcamps, sport activities…);
– Self-esteem and youth representation.
Our ESC volunteer will especially take part in the “Sac Ados project”, devoted to youngsters’ orientation. At the same time our ESC volunteer will also take part in other collective and community projects Micados is active in.
CBB host around 25 international volunteers around Wallonia. The ESC team of CBB tries its best to connect this network of volunteers together through different collective activities, seminars etc…
Support organization : CBB
In addition to this, the hosting organization is supported by the Association des Compagnons Bâtisseurs, aka CBB located in Marche-en-Famenne. CBB is a non-profit, non-political youth organisation recognized and financially supported by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The organisation proposes different kinds of activities, based on volunteering and non-formal education: local and international workcamps, medium and long term voluntary services (including ESC), and leisure time activities for and with disabled people, camp leaders trainings…CBB is active within the different European Programmes of volunteering and non-formal education since 1997 and also hosts ESC volunteers each year.
CBB’s role as a support organization is to:
- Promote the project and link between local and the international networks;
- Support in the selection and preparation of European volunteers before arrival;
- Manage of administrative matters: budget allowances; support in the creation of the bank account and enrollment at the municipality; enrollment in insurance; preparation of activity agreement;
- Provide pedagogical support for the volunteer and the hosting organization: ensures the participation in the NA seminars; organization of evaluation meetings for the volunteer and the hosting organization to reflect on learning outcomes;
- Handle practical arrangements: information about health insurance system in Belgium; indications about French lesson possibilities; online language tool…
- Create networking between all ESC volunteers of the hosting organizations we support.