VOLUNTEER IN THE OFFICE FOR LOCAL INITIATIVES IN ROCHEFORT
Looking for one volunteer
Due to the Covid-19 crisis, activities might be subject to modifications.
Hosting organization: Syndicat d'initiatives Rochefort
«Syndicat d’initiatives (SI)» is an organization of local interest, which aims are to promote and vitalize the territory. Their reach to the general public is done through three areas:
1. Event organization
During the year, SI has about 20 days of public events, most of them take place during the summer season. The most popular are:
- Le Carrefour BD – the comic books festival that celebrates this special art form holding meetings and talks with local authors.
- Le Marché du rire – the laughing market of Rochefort is part of the International Laughing festival that lasts up to three weeks!
- The Giant flea market.
- “The Serenades” – a music festival where young musicians have the chance to show their skills to the public.
- Le Rendez-vous – a local market and a place where artists gather to share their creations.
- La Balade Gourmande Nocturne – an avenue of local specialities followed by art shows and exhibitions (fire juggling, equestrian shows).
- Village du Noel – local Christmas market lasting for two weeks in December.
- Festival of Microadventures – a festival dedicated to the nature and microadventures. During two days, people can participate in conferences, workshops and masterclasses.
2. SI Info Point
The Info Point is the tourism office of the city open seven days a week during the entire year! Its purpose is to find and promote various events in the region not only for tourists but also for locals, since they try to promote youth camps, summer activities for children and in general, the cultural agenda of the region. The office also serves as a ticket sale point for the Laughter festival.
3. Tourist attractions in the city of Rochefort
- SI maintains 7 hiking trails in the city and around 30 in the surrounding area. They occasionally participate in their maintenance (650 km).
- They operate the “little train” which takes tourists around the town in a 60 minutes guided ride.
- Under their responsibilities are the local swimming pool and a mini-golf course. The office is in charge of selling tickets and refreshments and providing safety info to visitors.
- Festival of Microadventures – a festival dedicated to the nature and microadventures. During two days, people can participate to conferences, workshops and masterclasses.
To be able to offer all the activities to the public, SI/tourist office collaborates with many organizations in Rochefort: the cultural center, the youth house, the International Festival of Laughter, the local development agency, etc…
They host several local volunteers during the year as a support to their work.
The target group of the organization are visitors of different age groups. Even though 65 % of the visitors are from Belgium, they accommodate to the needs of international travellers also.
Further information can be found on the website
Support organization: CBB
The SI receives the support of the Association des Compagnons Bâtisseurs, aka CBB located in the nearby town of Marche-en-Famenne. CBB is a non-profit, non-political youth organization recognized and financially supported by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. The organization proposes different kinds of activities, based on volunteering and non-formal education: local and international workcamps, medium and long term voluntary services (including ESC), and leisure time activities for and with disabled people, camp leaders trainings…
CBB is active within the different European programs of volunteering and non-formal education since 1997 and also hosts ESC volunteers each year. CBB’s role as support organization is to:
- Promote the project and link between local and the international networks;
- Support in the selection and preparation of European volunteers before arrival;
- Manage of administrative matters: budget allowances; support in the creation of the bank account and enrollment at the municipality; enrollment in insurance (if not done by sending organization);
- Prepare the activity agreement;
- Provide pedagogical support for the volunteer and the hosting organization: ensures the participation in the NA seminars; organization of auto-evaluation meetings for the volunteer and the hosting organization to reflect on learning outcomes;
- Handle practical arrangements: accommodation; information about health insurance system in Belgium; indications about French lesson possibilities; online language tool;…
- Create networking between all ESC volunteers of the hosting organizations we support.