VOLUNTEERing at La Baraka in Liege
Looking for one volunteer
Hosting organisation: La Baraka
The youth centre of the west district – La Baraka is a non-profit organization which aim is to favour the emancipation and fulfilment of individuals while turning them into critical, responsible, active and solidary citizens. La Baraka is accompanying mostly young people between 6 and 26 years old.
It uses active pedagogy and lifelong learning processes based upon:
- interculturality and inclusion: take into account and valorize diversity in a broad sense (intergenerational, of gender, at the economical level and so on)
- commitment to local and societal environment
- co-building of skills and knowledge
- artistic creation, individual and collective expression, and cultural awakening
L’Ecole des Devoirs, proposing activities to children and young people after school, and also accompanying daily the children for their homeworks.
A Youth House, where young people from 12 to 26 years old can go after school or during weekends and holiday. The Youth House offers sport activities (boxing, dance, introduction to different sports…), cultural activities (trips, exhibitions…)… encouraging a peaceful coexistence
A Centre of Expression and Creativity, with several artistic activities: theatre, dance, singing, video editing, film making… And other interdisciplinary activities in which the process takes precedence over the result.
Classes of French for people coming from abroad for children from 10 to 18 years old and young people until 35 years old.
Support organisation: CBB
CBB is a nonprofit, apolitical youth organisation recognized and financially supported by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation. We propose different activities based on volunteering and nonformal education: local and international workcamps, short and long term volunteering services (including ESC), leisure time activities for and with disabled people, camp leaders trainings, etc. CBB is active within the different European programs of volunteering and non-formal education since 1997 and also hosts ESC volunteers each year.
CBB’s role as support organisation is to:
- Promote the project and links between local and international associations
- Support the selection and preparation of European volunteers before arrival
- Manage administrative matters such as budget allowances, creation of bank account, enrollment at the municipality, insurance contracts
- Write the activity agreement
- Provide pedagogical support for the volunteer and the hosting organisation by ensuring the participation to the NA seminars, organising evaluation meetings with the volunteer and the hosting organization to reflect on learning outcomes
- Handle practical arrangements, including accommodation, health insurance, French lessons, online language tools, etc.
- Create networking activities with all ESC volunteers of the hosting organisations we support